A Message to a Fellow Perfectionist

s-thoughts

I don’t think I’ve ever mentioned, but I have never received a tardy in all of my high school classes. Never. I’ve worked so hard to never be late, and I took pride in my lack of tardiness. But this morning, I had an off period, which means I don’t have a first period, which means I get to sleep in before second period. I had to wake up at 7:30 to move my car so my mom could get out of our driveway, so I thought I would naturally be awake. Yes, I do have alarms, but all of them are set before 7:30 and my first class starts at 8:55. I overslept. And yeah, who hasn’t overslept before? But I slept until 8:53. Usually when I oversleep, I’m usually able to make it before the dot. But not today. I woke up, checked the clock, and yelled, “SH*T!”. I was without a doubt, going to be late for the first time in my high school career. Scrambling to get my stuff together and get my clothes on, I skipped breakfast, popped a stick of gum in my mouth, put on some deodorant, and skittered out of the house with heavy haste. I got to school, struggled to find a parking spot, and speed walked to the front entrance near tears. I walked to the Assistant Principal’s Office to ask for a tardy pass whilst becoming more and more of a nervous wreck.

“H-h-h-hi… I need a tardy p-pass…”

“Sure thing! Are you alright?”

“Yeah… I’ve never been late before.”

”Impressive! Don’t worry. It was bound to happen at some point right? We’re human, we err.”

The receptionist handed me a tissue and sat me down. She talked me through my breakdown and made me feel alright.

Being a perfectionist isn’t easy. You don’t like to fail. You have a hard time processing failure. But don’t worry, friend, we’re in the same boat! You are bound to fail at something in your life. We are all human. And we make mistakes. So don’t sweat the small stuff. Without failure, there’s no motivation to succeed. Stay strong friendo. It’s okay to fail.

I’m trying to hold in my laughs because I’m a consistent first-period tardy achiever :killme:

I haaaaaaaate being tardy, I can’t stand it any sort of way :woke: